Saturday, February 23, 2008

Mystery Piece + Noise Soup




I have a few unidentified mp3s on my laptop that I've gotten really attached to. They're all classical, which makes identifying them even harder, since even if I figured out the composer and the piece, recognizing the specific performance and recording would be near impossible.

Today I'd like to post one. I have Benjamin Britten labeled as the artist in iTunes, but no other information. I have no idea how or where I got this sublime recording, but I'm glad I did.



The thing I'd like to point out here is how much ground he covers in under 3 minutes. He starts things off with the main hook, first with the winds and later the soprano, but then there's all this exposition and journey. When you consider that three minutes is thought of as a succinct length for a pop song, just a couple of verses and choruses and maybe a bridge, Britten is absolutely cooking here.

If there are any classical fans out there with golden ears who can tell me more about the identity of this piece, I'd appreciate the info.

Benjamin Britten - Unknown Piece

To me, a little classical goes a long way. I'm pretty much a habitual shuffler now with my mp3 player and every time a classical piece comes up, I like it because it kind of cleanses the listening palette with its open space and softer textures. Then if, say, Queens of the Stoneage is the next random track in line, I'll have a new sense of appreciation for just how abrasive and heavy they really are with my rested, recalibrated ears.

Ambient noise tracks have the same effect (and a little also goes a long way). Only rather than cleansing the palette, it's more like pouring liquid Drano down it. When you've just listened to ten pop songs in a row and suddenly the noise soup of Fennesz comes blasting in all of its humming, crackling glory, it's like hearing every pop form and device boiled down into one elemental current of sound. Then if, for instance, a Sam Cooke cut follows, you're going to have a new appreciation for its warmth and simplicity.

I mentioned Fennesz because his disembodied sonic melt is nearly an art form unto itself, something which nobody else I've heard comes close to repeating. But the album Way Blank by Axolotl almost does in places. "Occiput the Brain Is the Seat of the Dnine Part" is all blast, no drip, but there are melodies buried deep in the gush of distortion.




Axolotl - "Occiput the Brain Is the Seat of the Dnine Part"

No comments: