Monday, March 17, 2008

In Search of "Champ"

The things I'm about to tell you are incriminating. Multiple laws were broken to bring you this mp3 and I'll have to break a few more just to tell you the story of how I found it. I'm talking unauthorized captured screen grabs, illicit insinuations and flagrant violations of copyright laws. But such is my love for you. That I would go all Indiana Jones to rescue this pearl from the vine-covered tomb of anonymity.

I can hardly believe it, but here is the story.

In the summer of 2006 I borrowed the Season 1 boxset of the HBO series Entourage from my girlfriend, who had gotten it as a present from her macho boss. To my surprise, I got hooked. I say surprise because it's sort of a show for meatheads. It follows a posse of mid-twenties dudes living out their fratish fantasies in Hollywood, all childhood friends and all riding the coattails of Vince, the next big movie star. Every episode is a parable without a moral, about excess; of pleasure, testosterone and douchebaggery of every kind.



But that's a surface description because Entourage is smarter than that. And underneath all the weed, whiskey and women is a steady theme of Daoist resignation in the form of the lead character. Vince just takes things as they come, he never strives. He's completely in the gush of the universal stream, his lack of effort the very secret to his success.

It works for Vince anyway, but for the rest of us sometimes a little striving is in order, which brings me back to the subject of my hallowed mp3. In episode 10, "My Mazerati Does 185," all of the entourage bros show up to a slamming LA party - something which happens every fifth scene on the show - and the most phenomenal slice of bump is playing on the loudspeaker; this hoarse croon spouting a clipped lyric over distorted claps and clangy percussion. Half relaxed, half relentless. Most beautifulist thing in the world is how sweet your girl is. Few songs have ever delivered their hook so quickly.

I'm sold and so, being a good consumer, I find the Entourage page on the HBO website and click the link to the list of that episode's music selections.



Simple enough. The song is "Champ" by Mewzic Monsterz. Armed with a title and artist, I figured I was about 8 seconds away from a download. The simplest and most ethical option was iTunes, so that's where I stopped first. But no song matching those coordinates came up; nothing for the artist Mewzic Monsterz; nothing on the album Entourage: Music From and Inspired by the Hit HBO Original Series.

Having been failed by the iTunes juggernaut, I turned to another: Google. The first hit led me to a message board where I read the following post from Boozoo:

July 24, 2006 08:59 PM
Mewzic Monsterz's song "The Champ" ...Can't find the CD or MP3 of this song!! Help This song came on HBO's "Entourage" ep. 10...but I can't find it anywhere! Has anyone found it? Someone, anyone, pleeeease help me find it!


There had been no replies for a week until:

sweetlikeharmony
Aug 2, 2006 02:30 PM

i work in a record store and i checked the band in our database and the cd isn't even avalible, and i tried to find it to download but thats also impossible, i might suggest looking at http://www.mewzicmonsterz.com and contacting them about it.


Boozoo
Aug 3, 2006 06:53 PM

thanks for looking! it's funny, i found that site during my search a few weeks ago, called them and it's always busy. then i emailed, and it bounced back! i even found mewzic monsterz on myspace but it wasn't the same people! looks like this may be the most elusive song in the history of music.


Nothing against Boozoo and Sweetlikeharmony, but I decided not to take their word for it and contact the artist myself. Which led me to the ominous and vague mewzicmonsterz.com. Shrouded in black with a logo in some kind of ninja Klingon font, it looked like a homepage for a video game company, or a drum'n'bass artist. Not whatever next-level soul stirrers had written and performed "Champ."



A loop of far-East techno played while I scanned the various links: discography, television/film, profile. So far so good. Art gallery? Hmmm. I tried picturing the next Pharrell or Al Green having an art gallery. It didn't seem right. When I clicked on any of these links, they took me to a page that said "Coming soon..." (Now two years later, all of these sections are still "coming soon.") I found the contact link and fired off an email to you@mewzicmonsterz.com. It got bounced back, just as sweetlikeharmony had warned.

Having now been shunned by two thirds of the holy trinity of internet culture, I finally took my prayers to MySpace. Sure enough, Mewzic Monsterz had a page, but only one track on their music player - "A MoNsTer" - a kind of half dancehall, half dirty south hip hop. The artist listed next to the song's name was RokstrZ. I started to wonder. What was Mewzic Monsterz, anyway? A production house? A licensing or publishing company?

Totally confused now, but more determined, I sent them a MySace message:

Hi. I love the song "Champ" that was on Entourage. I've been trying to buy it online but haven't had any luck. Is this your song?

About a week letter, I got a three-word reply:

Yep. That's us.


Wow. Talk about cultivating an air of mystery. These guys must really be committed to building a buzz. I sent back:

Oh, great. So how can I buy the song?

I never heard back from Mewzic Monsterz.

At this point I had completely bombed at snagging "Champ" legitimately, and getting my hands dirty with illegal alternatives wasn't even an option. I found this almost impossible to believe. I mean, a series like Entourage must be raking in millions of viewers and music placement on the show is a huge part of its energy and style. They use music that makes the guys and their California nightlife look good. But in turn, those same scenes give the songs an entirely flattering context. As an artist, you couldn't ask for a better commercial for your tunes. How could anybody trying to crack into the business NOT be ready and waiting to capitalize on an opportunity like that? It was unthinkable.

I did some more googling. More frantic message board posts by people looking for the track and getting nothing in the way of information. So I forgot about it.

Flash forward a year and I'm cleaning out my MySpace inbox. I come across my pitiful little exchange with the enigmatic Mewzic Monsterz. I click the link to their page and, lit like God's holy dove, the song "Champ" is up, credited to Jay. I hit play and it's every bit as good as I remembered. The only problem, I do the same searches as a year before - iTunes, the band's dot com - and come up just as empty. I try messaging the group again via MySpace. A week passes. I can see the message has been read, but there's no reply.

This is when I said "Fuck it." Without a tinge of remorse, I used a program I bought called Audio Hijack to rip my own audio file from the MySpace stream of the song. I've been loving on it ever since.

It's been over two years now and Mewzic Monsterz have taken no further steps to make their amazing, high-profile piece of music available for purchase. I don't know whether to scorn or admire them for their Vince-like nonchalance. Either way, the song is a must-have. My version's got a few seconds of silence at the top because of the way I ripped it. And the quality's not going to be the best because it was going through the hideous compression of MySpace's music jukebox. But it'll do for now until the artist, or the show's producers, finally get around to releasing a legit copy. It'll have to.

Mewzic Monsterz/Jay - "Champ"

40 comments:

Anonymous said...

thank you so much, spent days looking for this song

Anonymous said...

this is hilarious
i just went through some of these exact same steps after a rerun of that episode
thanks for saving me days, weeks, months and possibly years of frustration!

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Anonymous said...

You are my hero.

anonymous said...

legend.

i thought i was the king of finding tracks.

the crown is yours.

Anonymous said...

Great song indeed. I googled for a day and found your website the only place to download it.

Thanks!

Anonymous said...

How do I download it to my ITunes?

Anonymous said...

Your work is well appreciated!

Anonymous said...

Haha, unbelievable... i just went through the same thing

Much thanks

Anonymous said...

thank you so much! i've been searching for this song for months! haha

Anonymous said...

paying for itunes is for those who don't live in China

Don Magic John said...

amazing, ive been looking for this song like the nazis looking for the ark of the covenant, thanks

Anonymous said...

after all this time... thank you thank you thank you!

Anonymous said...

its nice to be able to listen to that song...but how do i do anything with it? i cant save it to burn or anything

Anonymous said...

Thanks so much, song is great.

Anonymous said...

i've been looking for this song for a long time also cause it sounded so smooth on the episode. thank you so much you've definitely made my day

Anonymous said...

thank you so much, been looking for this song forever.

Anonymous said...

HAHAHa..I emailed them too. This was a while back. I finally foudn there song on myspace but now thetre not on there anymore! You are the KING for ripping this!

Unknown said...

I just wish they had more music for us to get hooked on...

Benjamin T. Smith said...

Thanks so much for this post! I too have been trying to track down this song since I first watched the Entourage episode. It's crazy that there are so many people after this and its creators are so hard to track down.

Thanks again!

Ben

Anonymous said...

Thank you so much. My 2-3 years of patience and frustration has come to an end. All these guys (Mewzic Monsterz) had to do was release the damn thing. People would have been able to obtain the track by other means rather than paying for it, but they would have still have made some money from those who didn't know how. Ain't gonna happen now. Thanks man.

Anonymous said...

yes son! nice story too

Unknown said...

The things we've all had to do to end up at this website! I tried all the same stuff and then used shazam on my iphone.....which got so confused that it crashed and is now in the shop for repairs! so i was left with no phone and that damn song stuck in my head! I think i'm going to have to play it loud and record it on to tape! yes, i am willing to go back to the stone age for this....thank you keep it up, i like your taste in music.

Anonymous said...

http://hypem.com/artist/mewzic+monsterz

there you go

thnx anyway

Constantine said...

Great write up. Been looking for this song for years too, also having first heard it on Entourage. Well done.

Anonymous said...

lol this is very funny. I actually know Mewzic Monsterz. its a production house. it used to b in hollywood but has been relocated. They work on many projects and have done some musical directing for other shows as well. I was looking for the old addy to the Hollywood studio for reference and i came across this whole "movement of you guys looking for this song on at least five different links i got from google. i think its cool and ill be sure to tell "Jay" about all of you guys.

Anonymous said...

Who would have thought a song so good would be so hard to get?!! Audio Hijack is fabulous - thanks for all the hard work!! :0)

Darksaber said...

W.O.W, i finally found CHAMP, a 4 year quest is over. Like Drama might say, VICTO-effing-RY!!!
Thank you so much, i went through the same frustrations you did while searching for this.

Boogs said...

Unbelievable! I can't quite thank you enough for ripping this. And the weird this is that I sooooo feel you! I kept typing in the lyrics on Google and getting nowhere; I was even doubting what I was hearing off the episode! I've searched for it on and off for nearly 14 months and I'm glad someone out there had more search skills than I do! The track's soooo worth the wait though...you hear it that hook once and that's it! Thanks again; wish I could buy you a few beers!

Akash Arasu said...

Over 2 years since your post my man and you're still getting consistent hits.

I can't tell you how incredibly grateful I am to you for having epically broken copyright laws to give us this beautiful song.


Is there ANYWAY I can get that piece of eargasmic literature onto my computer?

Cheers.

Grateful till death,

BH.

Daniel said...

Guys, after all I've done for you, the least you could is figure out how to download a working link. It's web 101. :)

For macs, control click on the link and choose "save as." For PCs, which I don't use, it's something similar, like right-clicking on the link and choosing the save option.

It's funny to still be getting comments on this. It blows my mind that someone could put so much care and talent into creating a piece of music, land it on a high profile show, and then just leave it alone...

Brian said...

Thank you so much! I just started re-watching Entourage from the beginning again and love this song so I decided to look for it. I agree. I can't believe this isn't commerically available on iTunes or something. Again, thanks. You rock!

Anonymous said...

They should add your story to the fucking bible...

Thank god for people like you

Anonymous said...

WOW!! I first searched for this song 2 years ago when I first saw the episode...no luck at all... been re-watching Season 2 today and thought "I NEED THAT SONG IN MY LIFE" so, after hammering google for 15 mins , I finally stumbled across this page!! Thanks for posting. Its amazing how hard one song can be to find in this day and age!!!

Unknown said...

First, there was Jesus Christ...

Then sir.. There is you.

I honestly can't believe all these people went through the exact same thing as me. I remember going through the exact same process as all of you. I even remember the screen shot of their webpage. But nothing ever came of it.

Then, after the season premier tonight, I went back tot the internet, and decided like all of you, enough is enough, that song must be on my iPod by tomorrow. And as soon as I searched google, there your page was, like a lighthouse in the distance after a three year voyage spent adrift at sea.

Thank You Sir,
Thank You.

Anonymous said...

this song is like searching for the holy grail!!! Its safe & on my computer!! the music GODS have truly blessed u!!

thx s

JD said...

Thanks so much for posting this! Unfortunately, when I click on the link, I get the message "server not found". Is there anything else you can recommend to go about getting this song. To be so close, and yet...

thanks for your response!

Daniel said...

Hey JD,

Sorry, haven't updated this blog in a long time. I just hosted the mp3 on another server. The link should work again. Enjoy.

D

Anonymous said...

Hahaha I love that we all went through the same thing with their company!

I can't seem to DL the song from the link though, there is no save as on the ctrl click.

Mike said...

Ha - i literally went down this rabit hole more than a decade ago. It randomly came to mind the other day, and i find myself back here again - trying to figure out how to download it. This long is a legend at this point (at least to me).