Sunday, February 15, 2009

Pinch of Jamaican Soul: Still Waters


Thanks to the DJ at Bar Nine for helping me feel correct last night. I was in Hell's Kitchen with some friends after a long, intense day and just needing to drink myself to relaxation. We walk in and I'm giving the door man my ID when it hits me, that feeling of relief that good soul music gives me. I know the song, "Still Waters." But I don't. I walk up to the DJ to get the scoop and he blows my mind by telling me the version he's playing is by the Four Tops. I tell him about the version I have by Jerry Jones and how much I love the Four Tops and how I can't believe I've never heard this cut. We were best friends, just like that.

One of my favorite things in the world is seeing what happened when Detroit and Jamaica went at the same piece of music. Everybody wins.

The Four Tops "Still Water (Love)"

Jerry Jones "Still Water"

No comments: