Monday, March 23, 2009

Cale Parks, Brutal Debonair


Cale Parks has a new song called "Places We've Created" available for download at RCRDLBL.com today. It's totally worth the click.

Cale is an old friend of mine who I mostly knew through his band Aloha. Friend, yes. But I've always considered myself a fan of his consummate musicianship (Don't let his slender, debonair appearance fool you - the man is an absolute savage on the kit). Years ago, in between Aloha tours, Cale started making records by his lonesome and it's been a pleasure to watch him come into his own as a solo artist. Cale's most recent album Sparklace is a beautiful, subtle work of abstract cool. I particularly like the song "This Morning," which I fittingly first heard on an early morning drive. Cale and I have talked about our mutual love of Durufle's requiem, which has a plodding, modal majesty. "This Morning" has the same effect on me.

Cale Parks "This Morning"








Cale's at SXSW right now. Catch him here:

No comments: