Thursday, April 2, 2009

Miami Vice Fever


In a recent interview Karin Dreijer Andersson, who records as Fever Ray and is one half of The Knife, said that her greatest current musical inspiration was the aesthetic of Miami Vice. She also mentioned Phil Collins' "In the Air Tonight," which was famously used in a crucial scene from the Miami Vice pilot.

This makes total sense listening to her music. I love those things too (part of the reason I'm a fiend for Michael Mann movies to this day) and there are a few Phil Collins tracks in my collection that I consider some of the most timeless music I own.

It's hard to say why these two Collins tracks don't sound dated, but if I had to guess I'd credit the use of analog synths and drum machines (rather than digital presets) as well as the energy of Collins' vocal performance and acoustic drum tracks. On "I Don't Care Anymore" in particular, listen to how dry the mix is, how when Collins starts singing they take the room effect off of the drums. That is just a shithot drum sound, no two ways about it.

Phil Collins "I don't Care Anymore"








Phil Collins "In The Air Tonight"








Fever Ray "Seven"








Fever Ray "Triangle Walks"






3 comments:

Lasferatu said...

I LOVE that woman! Fever Ray has been a constant on my ipod lately.

Anonymous said...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4TEc17j5GF8

-panic

saru said...

wow, i am surprisingly overwhelmed by "i don't care anymore." awesome post, well written as usual.