Thursday, November 12, 2009

R Les for Pres




There is nobody else doing what Ryan Leslie is doing right now. He's found some sweet middle ground between Dilla-ugly concepts of what a beat can be, futuristic synth pop production, moody D'Angelo-isms and black top 40 r'n'b writing. The complaint about Leslie is that he never goes far enough out down either road - experimental or pop accessibility - but I like the balance and minimalism. So much of the best black music today is ruined with obnoxious lyrics, fatuous track lengths, invisible session players and a reliance on tacky cameos. I like that R Les plays his own instruments, keeps his songs short and his productions lean, and that he doesn't manage to spout out anything so fucking morally prehistoric that it's a deal breaker for even my already crass sensibilities.

Transition is his second record in '09. To which I say, WTF. Possibly he rushed this thing out, but I think it benefits from not being fussed over. It seems impossible, but I think it's even more stripped down than his previous release, Ryan Leslie. Some of the production on that album had a little bit more futurism and rough edges, which is missed, but song-for-song, this might be my favorite.

Download a live recording of Ryan Performing his fantastic single "Something That I Like" earlier this summer. Then listen to some streams from the record (including that same single, featuring Pusha T from Clipse) and aquire this music for yourself.

mp3 Ryan Leslie "Something That I Like (Live at the Penthouse)

Ryan Leslie "Something That I Like (Feat. Pusha T.)"









Ryan Leslie "All My Love"









Ryan Leslie "Zodiac"







No comments: