Friday, December 18, 2009

Co-sign: Rihanna


I can't help but hear the tracks on Rihanna's new record in the context of her publicly getting the shit beat out of her, and then taking another beating in the press and on the blogs (oddly, in most of the black blogs I read I see more support for Chris Brown and a weirdly emotional hatred for Rihanna). Her response is to release a record cover where she's covering her eye up (so you don't see it's swelled shut) and a record - Rated R - that is so smart and aggressive it says: you've got the size but I've got the dignity. So I really dig the giant attitude she's bringing here. No victim. Some of my favorite cuts are "Hard," "G4L (Gangster for Life)" and "Rude Boy," in which she drops reverse misogynistic lyrics and sounds 50 feet tall, in bondage gear wielding a tech 9 and a designer strap-on. Lines like How'd I feel down there on your knees?

"Hard" is just producer/writer The Dream being The Dream. Listen to that track 50 times to know how smart it is. "G4L" sounds like a Bjork track from Vespertine, just way tougher, the chorus erupts into an anti-hook, pure emotion and 15 Rihannas moaning. And "Rude Boy" is sensationally wide and so, so filthy. It's a great move bringing the Caribean term "Rude Boy" into American pop culture.

I like my pop this raunchy and I love Rihanna's swinging dick.

Rihanna "Rude Boy"








Rihanna "G4L"










1 comment:

saru said...

maybe it's because i am way up past my bedtime and i have filled my head with video games... but that "G4L" track gave me serious goosebumps.