Sunday, January 17, 2010

Owen Pallett + Patrick Watson


This new album Heartland by Owen Pallett is really beautiful. It's a mix of small ensemble orchestral instruments and a bit of Nintendo soft synths. Usually stuff this gentle is a bit more twee than I can take but the material and the vision is really strong.

Owen Pallett - "What Do You Think Will Happen Now?"










Owen Pallett - "Red Sun No. 5"











Pallett reminds me of Patrick Watson, whose album Wooden Arms was one of the great unsung masterpieces of last year. I've been meaning to post some of these cuts for a while and the new Pallett reminded me to. Watson has such an original approach to writing and arranging. He's got the kind of pretty voice that could get him Keane-sized fans, but he's got more of a Buckley-esque ambition to alienate the easily distracted. For this I thank him.

Patrick Watson - "Where the Wild Things Are"










Patrick Watson - "Fireweed"







No comments: