Friday, April 4, 2008

Note To Spring



Look. I'm ready for springtime, even if Michigan has drearier ideas. I even bought a new polo shirt last night, and the winter coats are getting packed in the basement on principle. Today was forecasted as an ebullient, sunny, 50-degree masterpiece of refreshing April goodness. Instead we got damp, cold coal in our stocking. It's too cruel. I said to my girlfriend, the future will really be now when weather forecasting actually works. So here it is, my open letter to Spring, subtly laced with the names of essential Jamaican Soul cuts in offering.

Dear Spring,

Imagine my disappointment today when I woke to find not sun, not shine, but rain. Cold, dreary mothersoaking rain. Not that I should complain, after the totally appreciated and soul-saving sun you handed out most of this week, but let's be honest: it comes and goes with you. Make up your mind already. You and I both know that I did precious little bitching about the winter this year and so, I guess I feel that you owe it to me to deliver a legit spring. And not one of those cold Aprils into suddenly scorched Mays. But a proper, thawing, gradually warming spring. I don't want to tell you how to do your job or anything, but I'm just afraid that, if you delay any longer, too long will be too late. So, I'm here respectfully requesting that - if you don't mind - we get the festivities started. Spring? I live for it. Or rather, I live because of it, because another month of winter would literally kill my heart. So please, I'm begging you to do the right thing here.
Don't break your promise. Do it up. Send the warm!

Your number one fan,
D


Bruce Ruffin - Rain

The Melodians - It Comes and Goes

The Heptones - Make Up Your Mind (outtake)

Freddie and Jenny - Too Long Will Be Too Late

The Gaylads - If You Don't Mind

The Chosen Few - Don't Break Your Promise

No comments: