Friday, June 6, 2008

Jim Noir is for Summers



With summer's thick swelter fully upon us (it passed 90 effing degrees today in Detroit), records like Jim Noir's Jim Noir become seasonal necessities, like flip flops and beach towels. There's a quote on his homepage from The Independent that calls this album "nothing less than the laptop Pet Sounds." I don't really have much to add to that. Besides recalling The Beach Boys, its filter of lovingly worked out electronics puts it in league with artists like Caribou and Pas/Cal who've found a modern home for the Beach Boys' sun-dappled sound.

To be honest, I'm not even a fan of the Beach Boys. I find them kind of annoying. But I'm now a fan of Jim Noir. I had a near-transcendent experience last night driving home to "On A Different Shelf," which I love for its beautiful synth fugues and a vocal round at the end that out-Spiritualizes Spiritualized.


Jim Noir - On A Different Shelf


Jamie Lidell's Jim was supposed to be my soundtrack of the summer. But I do believe one Jim has trumped another. Jim Noir is no joke and, though I'm slightly uncomfortable hocking another man's wares so blatantly, I have to say: get it immediately.

Jim Noir - Happy Day Today

Jim Noir - Same Place Holiday



Okay. I like one Beach Boys song. This is a demo, I think.

Beach Boys - All I Wanna Do (demo)

No comments: